Mr. Tan Arulampalam Laparoscopic & General Surgeon
I was born in Sri Lanka and educated at Rugby School in England. I was awarded my Medical Degree by the University of London after five years at St. Bartholomew's Hospital Medical School. I enjoyed my training in London including Basic Surgical Training at Barts, Whipps Cross Hospital, Homerton Hospital, the National Hospital Queen Square and the Royal London Hospital.
My specialist Higher Surgical Training was completed at Oldchurch, Whittington, Chase Farm and Colchester Hospitals with the award of Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons of England in 1996 and Intercollegiate Exam in 2003. During this period I undertook a two year research post at the Department of Surgery and Institute of Nuclear Medicine, University College London where I won a Trustees Grant to study molecular imaging of colorectal cancer. I was awarded my higher degree by thesis in 2003. Having been awarded the David Dunn Fellowship by the Association of Laparoscopic Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland I spent 3 months in Rome under Professor Cristiano Huscher completing my laparoscopic training. I was awarded the Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland Travelling Fellowship (2007) as well as a Royal College of Surgeons of England Research Grant (2008). I am married with five children.
St. Bartholomew’s Hospital Medical School, University of London
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (1992)
- Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons of England (1996)
- Honorary Fellow of the College of Surgeons of Sri Lanka
- Intercollegiate Examination (2003)
- MD (University of London 2003)
- David Dunn Fellowship (Association of Laparoscopic Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland) (2003)
- Association of Surgeons Overseas Travelling fellowship
- Royal College of Surgeon of England Research Grant
General Medical Council - Specialist register
- General Surgeon with special interests in laparoscopic surgery, surgical treatment of colorectal cancer, herniae and gallbladder disease and flexible endoscopy
- General Medical Council
- Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland
- Association of Laparoscopic Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland (Honorary Treasurer)
- Member Surgical Indemnity Scheme
Current Appointments (Public Hospitals)
- Colchester Hospital, Essex, UK
Private Hospital Visiting Rights
- Oaks Hospital, Essex UK
- Weymouth St Hospital
When not working, I enjoy as much family time as possible. My wife and five children share my passion of travelling as well as anything outdoors including walking, cricket, tennis and swimming.