Laparoscopic Hernia Repair or Keyhole Hernia Surgery
Keyhole hernia surgery has evolved over the last decade.
Advantages of keyhole TAPP hernia repair over an open operation
- Keyhole surgery means there is generally
- Less post-operative pain
- Smaller incisions and faster Recovery.
- No further incisions required for patients with hernias in both groins (bi-lateral hernia).
- Ideal method for patients with recurrent hernias after previous surgery
- Early discharge from hospital - either same day or next day after surgery.
- Very early return to work. Often within 3 days for office workers and around 1 to 2 weeks for manual workers. This should be discussed with your surgeon.
Incisions for open hernia repair
Incisions in keyhole TAPP right inguinal Hernia Repair
Disadvantages over open operation
- General Anaesthetic is always necessary.
- Patients with very large hernias or previous lower abdominal surgery may not be suitable.